Even though we do not file insurance for medical visits, you can still seek reimbursement on your own. If you come to ZüpMed as a non-member, you will pay for the medical services you receive on the day you see us. We will provide you with a “Superbill” which details the specific medical services or procedures performed and the amount you were charged. You can use our superbill and your proof of payment to submit a claim for insurance reimbursement for these out-of-pocket expenses.
You likely already have an idea of what to do, especially if you’ve ever had any experience with dental offices that don’t take your insurance or you’ve had to submit a veterinary claim. The process is easy and will typically take less than 15 minutes once you learn your way around.
Important Reminder for our Medicare patients: Unfortunately, Medicare will NOT allow this type of out-of-network reimbursement. To even attempt reimbursement is against Federal law.
Ways to Submit for Insurance Reimbursement
To submit for reimbursement, you’ll typically need the following information:
- name and date of birth of the patient
- the amount charged
- the date of service
- medical coding for the service provided (all are included on our superbill), and
- proof of payment (you can use your credit card receipt)
Most insurance carriers will allow a claim submission either by mail or online. Please make sure that whatever method you choose, you do NOT direct the payment to the provider. You want to get reimbursed, not send your money to us.
Submitting a Claim by Mail
Using the phone number on the back of your insurance card, call your insurance company’s member services number and let them know you have an out-of-pocket expense that you’d like to submit for reimbursement. They can email you a Claim Form, or let you know where to find their specific form online. Once you fill out the form and sign it, combine it with our superbill and your payment receipt. When you are on the phone with the agent, always ask for the correct mailing address to send the information to. When you submit by mail, the typical timeline for reimbursement is 30 days or more.
Submitting a Claim Online
Reimbursement is typically faster if you submit online, taking as little as 14 days before you get paid. To start a submission online, go to your insurance plans website and look for subheadings such as “Popular Forms” “Account Claims”, or “Submit a Claim”. Each insurance company is slightly different. For example, United Health Care’s form is labeled “Direct Medical Reimbursement Form”. Cigna’s form is found under “Medical Forms” and “Medical Claim Form”. Once you find the correct form, you can fill it out electronically then upload our superbill and your payment receipt. Hit submit, and you are done.
Tips for Claim Submission
- Make sure the claim form is for out-of-network claims (Do not use a “facility medical claim”).
- You will need to submit a separate form for each visit or claim. (This means, if you and your daughter had a visit on the same day, you must submit two different claim forms).
- Pay attention to where it asks you to sign- you will want to sign the line that directs reimbursement to you. (There is also a line for sending reimbursement to the provider—we already have been paid by you, so don’t choose this option.)
- Completing the form does not guarantee reimbursement, although we have many patients tell us that they are reimbursed in full for our services.
We want you to be successful in obtaining reimbursement so that you have access to our providers at the lowest possible expense. If the information above is not helpful, or if you’ve reached a roadblock, please feel free to call our front desk at (901) 701-7010. Our Member Services Specialist or our Bookkeeper can help guide you.